MOSTERTON PARISH COUNCIL

Minutes of the Parish Council meeting held on Tuesday 14TH January 2020 at 7.00pm.

 

Present; Cllr. Neil Hickman (Chair),  Cllr Rob Fry, Cllr Angela Bullock, Cllr Jim Cooper, Cllr Chris Lamb and 3 members of the public.

 

Item No.

 

Action

 

PUBLIC DISCUSSION OF ITEMS ON AGENDA

 

A resident raised the issue of the village green. Cllr Lamb has suggested  an area be planted up as a meadow, using Bee Bombs, which contain a mixture of pollinators, including grass suppressants. Cllr Lamb said an idea may be use a small area of 10m x 10m to experiment to see what grows and whether this could possibly be expanded in the future. The area would be scythed,  so low cost.

Residents commented that when uncultivated the area becomes very overgrown and unsightly. The area is also subject to significant flooding and becoming boggy, so a suggestion was made of planting rice. Residents noted that they want to use the area as a village amenity.

If a trial area were to be planted up it could possibly be the lower half of the green, near to the river line.

 

 

2020/001

APOLOGIES / DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST / GRANT OF DISPENSATIONS Apologies were received and accepted from PCSO Alex Bishop & Dorset Councillor Knox.

 

2020/002

REPORTS FROM DORSET COUNCILLOR AND LOCAL POLICE OFFICER

 

a)

Dorset Councillor  - Cllr Knox sent her apologies.  

 

b)

Police. PCSO Bishop sent his apologies and the following report

Fortunately there has been nothing crime wise to report over the last month or so.

I do want to advise that in the last few months there has been a sharp increase of thefts of quad bikes in East and North Dorset.  There was also a quad bike stolen from a farm in Charmouth last week, where the offenders stole a 4x4 vehicle from another address in Charmouth to use in the theft of the quad bike.  The 4x4 was recovered out of County.  We are advising people to review their security and consider the use of alarms or CCTV that has the capacity to alert you to people on your property at the time.  If anyone would like security advice, you can contact me via 101 or online at www.dorset.police.uk.  Please also be vigilant and report anything suspicious (at the time).

For info, I will be at Mosterton Post Office at 1.30pm on Monday 20th, if anyone wishes to come and speak with me. I wish all a happy New Year and best regards, Alex.”

 

2020/003

APPROVAL OF THE MINUTES OF THE MEETINGS HELD ON 12th NOVEMBER 2019

The minutes were approved, proposed by Cllr Copper, and seconded by Cllr Bullock and signed by Cllr Hickman.

 

2020/004

MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 12th NOVEMBER 2019

Defibrillator

The clerk reported she has published a note about a potential training session in the Team News, but had no responses.  One resident commented that he and his wife would be interested in attending. The clerk will contact the school to see if they are interested in attending, and ask Emma House to publish a note on the Mosterton Facebook page.

 

Slabs beside rambler’s map

Clerk reported that she has contacted Mr Burroughs but not yet received a quote. Cllr Hickman will contact him to chase up.  

 

Grit Bin

This has now been bolted to the tarmac, next to the telephone box outside the village hall, and the bin has been filled.

 

 

VR

 

NH

 

 

2020/005

MANAGEMENT OF VILLAGE GREEN (AREA OPPOSITE SHOP)

Cllr Hickman asked if there was a desire to change the use of the area? All present agreed there was no wish to change the use of the land.

 

There have been a number of residents contact members of the parish council with concerns about the proposal to seed the area as a flower meadow, rather than cutting the grass as is currently done.

Residents have raised concerns about the area becoming untidy and unkempt, if it is not mown.

Cllr Lamb raised the issue of the potential benefits on mental health of accessibility of nature.

Residents noted that they still wanted the area to be able to be used for village events such as the Band on the Green.

 

Options for cultivation were looked at, as there were concerns raised about the potential costs.

Cllr Lamb reported that a sack of wildflower seed costs £7 for a 10m x 10m area which he is suggesting as the size for an experimental area. Dorset Wildlife would suggest that the area should be scraped and sown in Autumn and then cut in Spring and Autumn thereafter.

It was agreed that the councillors would carry out a site visit to look at the land and discuss the options. In the meantime it was agreed to publish a note in the March edition of the Team news asking local residents for the thoughts on the use of the land, and the matter would be an item on the agenda of the next meeting.

 

Cllr Cooper raised the issue of the lack of information about the green. It was suggested that a board be erected to let the villagers know that the land has been gifted to the parish council, and the rules for using the area, such as clearing up any rubbish and dog mess, and that if anyone wants to use the area they should contact the parish council for permission.

 

 

2020/006

PLAY AREA

Cllr Lamb did not have an update on the possibility of mound and ramps options for the play area.

Cllr Hickman and Cllr Fry will take up the matter. It was agreed build a mound of claggy clay material, which will be well compacted and then immediately grass seeded.

Costs agreed to a maximum of £500 for the project, with all present in favour. The clerk will purchase grass seed and Cllr Fry will speak to a local resident about creating the mound.

 

The play area chippings are still to be laid. However, this needs to be done when the ground has dried out a little more.

 

Cllr Fry has spoken to Mr Eeles who has kindly offered to supply the nets for the football posts. It was agreed to repaint the posts before the nets are installed. Clerk will purchase the paint. Cllr Fry will measure for the nets.

 

 

2020/007

CORRESPONDENCE

Clerks and Council Direct Newsletter

 

 

 

2020/008

PLANNING

a)                Applications handled since last meeting - None

b)                Decisions notified by Dorset Council since last meeting

WD/D/19/002088 12 Broadmead Close. Approved

c)                New applications to be considered

WD/D/19/003174 - 4 Chedington Lane, Mosterton. Erect single storey extension – there were no objections to this application

d)                Tree Applications – None

e)                Other planning matters

Boon Brown recently held a public consultation regarding potential development on land behind The Paddocks. There has not so far been a planning application submitted to Dorset Council.

WD/D/19/001634 Dunlop House, Main Road, Mosterton – This is no longer an active application as it was incomplete due to lack of information about access.

 

2020/009

FINANCE

Financial Status Mosterton Parish Council as at 14th January 2020

Treasurers account

 

Payments made since last meeting                                                             

Clerk salary & Pension (November & December

338.24

Clerk’s expenses

50.00

                                          

Income Since last meeting                                                               

Greenslade Taylor Hunt advertising fee

450.00

It was agreed that should the Estate Agents wish to extend the rental, the parish council would accept rental income to the end of June and no longer.

New cheques/payments for consideration

Mosterton Village Hall Hire

17.00

Bidair website

58.50

Microsoft License

79.99

 

 

 

Bank balance as at 30th December 2019 statement                         £

29,676.62

Bank balance once above payments agreed                                      £ 29,521.13

Next PWLB payment due on 1st April 2020.

 

Amenities account

Balance as at 9th December 2019 statement                                     £6,070.82

This includes a donation of £20.00 from the Preschool from the Textile bank

Interest continues to accrue at the rate of approximately £0.23 per month.

 

 

2020/010

STATUTORY DOCUMENTS

The council adopted the previously circulated Social Media policy.

The meeting closed at 8.03pm.

 

 

PUBLIC DISCUSSION TO RAISE ITEMS FOR FUTURE AGENDAS

Residents asked if a street cleaner can be arranged. The clerk will request this from Dorset Council.

The clerk reported that all the allotment plots are currently occupied. Rents will be due in March for the forthcoming year.  

It was request that the maintenance of the Mosterton Stone be on the agenda of the next meeting.

Mr Benge reported that the SID wasn’t working, as some wires had come loose. Also the battery is low on charge. The clerk will send the purchase details of the SID to Mr Benge as this is still within its warranty period.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

VR

 

 

Date of next meeting Tuesday 10th March 2020 at 7.00pm.